Cities: Drivers of development - drivers of risk
Type: Meeting or Conference
Organizer(s): ICLEI - Local Governments for Sustainability
Date: 15 May 2012
Location: Bonn (Germany)
Venue: Deutsche Welle, Kurt-Schumacher-Str. 3
The panel discussion "Cities: drivers of development - drivers of risk?" will address drivers of development and risk as well as potential disaster risk management strategies towards natural hazards in urban areas with a special focus on flooding.
The panelists will address the following questions:
• What are drivers for development and risk?
• Will it be possible to avoid a further increase of disaster risk?
• What are the main effects of upcoming global changes on development and risk?
• Is there a blueprint for resilient city development?
• Are changes in severity and frequency of extreme events a major driver of risk or do vulnerability factors, such as informal settlements, play a more important role in this context?
• Compared to other hazards, why is the role of urban flooding so important in this context?
• What are best practice disaster risk management strategies for urban flooding?
• What are important constraints of existing approaches?
• How should guidelines for vulnerability assessment of different social groups and critical infrastructures be designed?
How to register
Registration, while not required, helps in the organization of the event and the catering. If you are planning to attend, send an e-mail to the organizers (email@example.com) including your name, organization, e-mail address and confirmation of attendance.