Workshop: Towards a Palestinian strategy for disaster risk reduction - 'Is your city ready?'
Type: Training Course
Organizer(s): An-Najah National University, Earth Sciences and Seismic Engineering Center ; State of Palestine - government
Date: 07 Feb 2012
Location: Nablus, West-Bank (Palestine, State of)
Venue: An-Najah National University, Korean- Palestinian IT Institute of Excellence, Conference Hall
Languages: English, Arabic
The Urban Planning and Disaster Risk Reduction Center at An-Najah National University and the Palestinian Ministry of Local Government in coordination with the United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) kindly invite you to participate in the workshop titled "Is your City Ready?"
• 9:00-9:30: Registration
• 9:30-10:00: Opening session
• 10:00-10:40: First lecture: “The Comprehensive Approaches and Disaster Risk Reduction Strategies according to Hyogo Framework for Action 2005-2015 and the Arab Strategy for Disaster Risk Reduction 2011-2020.
Lecturer: Dr. Jalal Dabbeek, Director of the Urban Planning and Disaster Risk Reduction Center at An-Najah National University and the Vice President of the National Agency for Disaster Risk Mitigation in Palestine.
• 10:40-11:00: “Laws, Legislations and Regulations related to Disaster Risk Reduction in Palestine” by Dr. Tawfeeq Al-Budairi, Assistant Undersecretary for Engineering and Planning Affairs.
• 11:00-11:20: Break
• 11:20-12:10: Discussions by representatives of the participating municipalities, as well as the governmental and non-governmental institutions related to disaster risk reduction.
• 12:10-12:50: Second lecture: Basic elements in planning for preparation, the ten-point checklist of essentials for making cities resilient, in addition to information and mechanisms of nomination and participation in the World Campaign “Making Cities Resilient”.
Lecturer: Dr. Jalal Dabbeek.
• 12:50-13:35: Discussions by representatives of the participating municipalities, as well as the governmental and non-governmental institutions related to disaster risk reduction.
• 13:35-14:00: Results and Recommendations
Municipalities, local government bodies, governmental and non-governmental institutions that work in the field of disaster risk reduction including governorates, ministries, civil defense, the Engineering Association, the Red Crescent, the National Agency for Disaster Risk Mitigation and the Contractors Union.