Mayor Fatimetou Mint Abdel Malick was born September 28, 1958 and she is the mother of three children. She was elected Mayor for Tevragh-zeina in 2001, and was re-elected in 2008. Tevragh-Zeina is a commune of the Capital Nouakchott in western Mauritania. It has a population of aprox 50,000. Main risk are floods, dune destruction and coastal erosion- and desertification.
- Awareness raising of Risk Investment to increase disaster resilience: sign up to « My City is getting ready » UNISDR’s Cities Campaign, designate an advisor in the Mayor’s Office as a focal point for the campaign " My city is getting ready ".
- Budget allocation: specific budget assigned for disaster risk reduction and Civil Protection.
- DRR Studies: studies commissioned by the Ministry of Environment, study on Flood Zones (Amextipe MHUAT), seminar in Nouakchott in December 2004 with Government officials and scientists, study on Mediterranean and African coasts, by Roland Paskoff (geographer).
- Investment in critical infrastructure: protect to stabilize the coastal sand dunes to combat the effects of sea incursions (with “Stabi-Plage” system), realization and improvement ofgreen spaces, City Hall restoration.
- Evaluation of schools and health facilities: develop digital maps of all educational and sanitary infrastructures (public and private).
- Execution of rules and regulations: contribute to the dissemination of the town planning code, set up a municipal one-stop shop for building permits.
- Reforestation and cleaning campaign: organize numerous campaigns to clean up the city and protect the dunes with the help of schools, youth groups, women groups and the population at large.
- Future projects: STABIPLAGE Project: Coastal sand dunes restoration against sea water incursions, "Climate change adaptation in coastal cities” Project in collaboration with GIZ.