2010 International Day for Disaster Reduction and the ASEAN Day for Disaster Management
The UN system and ASEAN will commemorate the 2010 International Day for Disaster Reduction, and the ASEAN day for Disaster Management under the theme "Making Cities Resilient: My City Is Getting Ready!"
The commemorations will take place on Wednesday, 13 October 2010 from 09:00-17:30 hours at the UN Conference Centre in Bangkok.
The morning session which is organized by the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), the UN International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (UNISDR), ASEAN, and the Ministry of Interior of Thailand will include:
- An opening ceremony including statements by the Secretary General of the UN, Ban Ki-moon, the UN Under Secretary-General and Executive Secretary of ESCAP Dr. Noeleen Heyzer, the ASEAN Secretary-General, Surin Pitsuwan, and the Minister of Interior of Thailand Chavarat Charnvirakul.
- An awards ceremony for regional children's essay and art contests.
- A panel discussion on "Building Disaster-Resilient Cities in Asia" featuring Ambassador of Pakistan Mr. Sohail Mahmood discussing the Pakistan floods of 2010.
The afternoon session which is organized by UNISDR, Asian Disaster Preparedness Center (ADPC), ESCAP, and UN HABITAT will include:
- Governor of Bangkok, Mom Rajawongse Sukhumbhand Paribatra, appointed as Champion for the UNISDR World Disaster Campaign 2010-2011, "Making Cities Resilient: My City Is Getting Ready!" Mr. Paribatra is representing present and past governors who have contributed in making Bangkok a safer place from floods.
- Bangkok Metropolitan Authority and Patong City are awarded Role Model Cities for the Campaign, to be received by Bangkok Governor and Patong Deputy Mayor.
- A keynote address by the Governor of Bangkok.
- Panel discussions among Mayors on "Landslide threats" and "Flood threats".